I have finally been blogging long enough to become the
victim esteemed recipient of one meme and one award. The meme comes from Chaotic Joy, a long-lost high school friend that has been found again through this wonderful thing called the blogosphere. The meme’s challenge is to list quirky things about me, and there are many. Here’s a few:
1. I cannot remember movies or books. I consider this to be an advantage. I can watch the same movies or read the same books over and over again and be totally entertained every time. There are two instances where this quirk can be a little frustrating: one is when I watch a movie for the second time only to remember at the very end that I didn’t really like it the first time, thus wasting my time.The other is when someone wants to discuss a book or movie that they know I have seen or read and I can’t remember a thing about it. If someone asks me about a movie or book that I have seen or read, but I can’t remember it, I just say I saw part of it or I started reading it and didn’t finish it. Then I’m not required to know anything about it. You’re probably wondering why I have a book review category on my blog if I have this affliction. It helps me to remember if I write a response immediately, so you can trust the reviews, I promise!
2. I really hate onions. I’m not too keen on vegetables in general, but onions are the worst. I don’t mind the flavor, but the texture is unbearable. That slimy-crunchiness. If I accidentally bite down on one, everything in my mouth will either come out or be swallowed whole. All throughout my childhood I would have a tiny pile of onions on my plate at the end of every meal due to my mom’s insistence on putting them in every recipe.
3. When I do or say something funny, I will usually make someone repeat it back to me so that I can enjoy it, too. Sometimes I need it immediately. Other times I will forget what I’ve done, and when a friend says, “Remember when you said. . .? That was so funny!” I say, “I don’t remember. Say what I said.” Now that I’ve typed this out I realize how strange it is.
4. When dining out I always have to ask several questions of the waiter/waitress before I can decide what I want to eat. What is the soup of the day? Can I get the quesadilla without onions? Can I have the chicken beside the rice instead of on the rice? Better yet, can I get a baked potato instead of rice? Can I order from the kids menu? It can go on and on. I usually embarrass everyone I’m with. I just figure that if I’m spending $15 on a meal, it should be exactly what I want, right?
5. I have the sweetest sweet tooth in the world. I have an entire head full of sweet teeth. I think this comes from being a cake maker’s daughter. I remember the first time I heard someone take a bite of a dessert and say, “Oh, I can’t eat any more of that. It’s too sweet.” I thought, “Too sweet? What is she talking about? Finish your dessert, lady!” I could eat cake and candy every day. I love it.
6. I hate having my picture taken. This is really more than just a quirk. It is an actual phobia. When a camera comes out, I will immediately grab the camera and offer to be the photographer. If that doesn’t work, I will just leave the premises until the danger has passed. There are a few instances when having my picture taken could not be avoided, but trust me, I did not go quietly. I just hate every picture I’ve seen of myself since 1993.
7. I keep a running list of my favorite hot actors. I lovingly refer to this list as “The Top Five.” I started this list when I was in college at CSU, and somehow it just stuck with me. Two charter members of The Top Five are still on the list: Matthew McConaughey and Matt Damon. The other three slots have changed over the years, but they are currently held by Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Reynolds. I’m sure these actors would be thrilled to know that they have made it to such an elite status. This is what happens when you have no life and are single for too long. Sigh.
These are just a few of my quirks. Why are so many of them food-related? Anyway, I would like to pass on this meme to Keeley because she is such a clever writer and to Hope because I think it’s time for the world to discover the level of quirkiness that I have observed in her.
I just knew you would appreciate this.
Thanks for reading, and have a great day!